Uphold Your Civil Rights

If you were discriminated against by an employer, our civil litigation lawyer will fight to uphold your civil rights

If you are a member of a protected group, then you understand these groups are protected for a reason. Many people in America still face discrimination on a daily basis, whether overtly or in the form of microaggressions, on the basis of their race, gender, age, orientation, disability, and more.

It is illegal for an employer to discriminate against someone in the workplace based on any of those factors. There have been numerous forms of federal legislation aimed to prevent workplace discrimination, notably Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Later federal legislation strengthened employee protections and added means for victims to receive restitution from the discriminating parties.

In New Jersey, the Law Against Discrimination expands the list of protected groups and also prohibits discriminatory practices in the workplace. Such practices include unfair terminations, undeserved punishments, unequal pay, being passed over for promotion on account of your group, or any other differential treatment that reflects such a bias.

Civil rights lawsuits based on employment discrimination are notoriously hard to prove. Cases with direct evidence, such as a supervisor stating the reason for your differential treatment, are exceedingly rare. Cases are typically built with circumstantial evidence, which is less effective in court, but with a long list of well-documented incidents, you can strengthen your case.

New Jersey residents have two agencies through which to file an employment discrimination claim. You can file with either the state administrative agency – the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights (DCR) – or the federal administrative agency, the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission. The option exists to ‘cross-file’ your claim with both agencies. Bear in mind that if the DCR requires you to file your claim within 180 days of the breach of your civil rights.

It’s also important to note that if the DCR reviews your claim, and concludes there is “no probable cause” to support it, you will not be able to pursue your claim in court. Therefore, if you’re seeking compensation for the violation of your civil rights – whether in the form of back pay, front pay, lost benefits or others – you may want to first consult with an experienced civil litigation lawyer to gauge the strength of your case.

If you feel your civil rights have been violated, call attorney David P. Schroth. With over 20 years’ experience in civil rights cases and other forms of New Jersey law, David P. Schroth is the civil litigation lawyer who will fight to uphold your rights and win compensation for your struggle.

Call today at 809-882-0041 and defend your civil rights in a court of law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *